Back to PROPGODS.COM...

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

mirage and mirage plus Options
24Outlaw
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:09:32 PM
Groups: Member

whats the differnce between the mirage and the plus other than the flo torque hub? I got a 23p mirage but it doesnt work any better than my turbo 24.I had 50 gallons of fuel and a couple of hundred pounds of gear.The 23 only ran 56 on gps but it would not hold the nose. Now will the plus make a differnce or am I wasting my money?
Ken2
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:48:19 AM
Groups: Administration

It has been rumored that the Mirage "Plus" has more cup then the Mirage.
However, neither have much cup, I don't think there is any difference between the two.

I believe the "Plus" is just the new hub kit.
Same as the Trophy Plus, Tempest Plus, Mirage Plus.

If you want bowlift, Run with the Tempest Plus, or the new Mercury Fury (lowest pitch 24). They will hold the bow high at speed.
Don't know what kind of boat you have, but those run well if bowlift is the desired result.
24Outlaw
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 12:28:15 PM

it is a 24 foot baja outlaw 454 mag 385 hp. the mirage worked ok but i couldnt take out much tab. tell me which prop to use.
Ken2
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:34:29 PM

Getting the Mirage Plus cupped a little may improve performance.

Had a friend with the same boat, running the 23 Mirage, he was ventilating pretty badly, he went with the Rev 4 23 pitch, and liked the holeshot better then the Mirage.
I think he lost a couple mph on top end though. He used the boat for watersports a lot though.

If top end is the goal, a Tempest Plus 23 pitch would probably work well. The Mirage is a pretty fast prop though.
Has your prop been worked on at all? I would expect a little faster then 56mph from that boat.
24Outlaw
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:25:06 PM

the only prop i have that was worked was Bravo 1 22p it works the best out of all the props Ive tried.But like all the other props  cant get enough bow lift.it seems every time I try to take tab out at high speed without trimming to far I get a bad bounce  so I lose alot of speed cuz tabs are 60% down. You can feel the drag.The boat runs alot better into a stiff wind but still I think there should be a prop that will stop the nose from bouncin.
Ken2
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:00:05 AM

I didn't realise you were porpoising, Actually that nose bouncing can be from too much bowlift. or too much weight in the stern.

The Bravo 1 is a sternlifting prop. That is most likely why its running the best so far.
Its lifting the stern at speed, which means you don't have to use the tabs as much to make the boat run right.

The Revolution 4 gives overall lift, not just sternlift. It may still propoise on your boat though.
And the Mirage and Tempest would just make the problem worse.

Weight distribution is going to be a big factor. Getting weight out of the stern and toward the bow should help.
If you can relocate the batteries farther forward, that may help.
Instead of buying a prop, you may look into light weight exhaust manifolds and risers. Stainless Marine is expensive stuff, but there are other companies that make cast aluminum exhaust that is very light weight, but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I haven't ran that particular boat though, so Before you spend any money, I'd call Hawkeye boats in Iowa.
They are very knowledgable on Baja boats. They may have already ran into this problem and found the answer.
http://www.hawkeyeboatsales.com/newboats.cfm

Let me know what they say, I'm interested in the fix as well.